Thursday, October 13, 2016

Curves: Through her Eyes... An exclusive look inside the makings of a MOVEMENT.

On July 10, 2016, what started off as a normal casting call, would turn out to be the start of something that NOBODY expected. 400 women gave it their all but for a lucky 70, our worlds were about to be changed forever. 

Photo: Deondre Dorelien

When you think of fashion shows, what do you think of? The glitz and the glam? The lights and the cameras? All are true but through a model’s eyes, there is so much more. 

On October 9, 2016, the city of Columbus took notice, as the Curve the Runway Ohio MOVEMENT took center stage. What was expected to be an event with 400 guests, turn out to be a show with over 800 lovers of fashion and CURVES!!!!

Photo: Deondre Dorelien

Liris Crosse
Ashley Graham
For so long, society has painted this inaccurate portrait of what beauty looked like and for so long, those of us that didn’t fit (pun intended) on that canvas, felt shamed; less than.  Only in recent years, with the help of models Ashley Graham (@theashleygraham) and Liris Crosse (@lirisc), has full-figured models and fashions been seen through a clearer lens. Throw in season 4 Project Runway winner, designer Christian Siriano (@csiriano) and his latest venture with Lane Bryant and now the world is watching.

Christian Siriano
Leading up to the event, we endured months of not only grueling rehearsals and swollen ankles but also sisterly bonding. Inspiring and encouraging, the ladies always kept it positive which when dealing with such a large group of women, is extremely rare. For some of us, this wasn’t our first rodeo show but for others, the anxieties of being rookies shined bright. I’ve been modeling for four years now and one thing’s for sure; practice definitely makes perfect; not only as it relates to your walk but with your confidence. With every rehearsal, I could see the confidence of my sisters growing!! With every stride, you could see the woman they were, not the woman they may have been told they were! 








When I sit back and think about it, this is what this MOVEMENT is all about!  According to the Cure the Runway Ohio vision:

 “Curve the Runway is dedicated to the EMPOWERMENT of curvy girls/women across the world…. Whether role models, spokes models, runway models or just model citizens, once you embrace your “inner diva” by feeling confident and secure in who YOU are, the world will truly become your own personal runway.”


Even as a “seasoned” model, I couldn’t help but feel an inner strength and pride about what was about to happen!! It was indeed going to be EPIC and I was so honored to be a part of it!! Janiece Bryant, wife, mother and newly-elected Curve the Runway ambassador, shared with me her story and what this MOVEMENT meant to her:

Janiece Bryant

“…As a young woman there were so many things about my body that I wished I could change. Acceptance of myself and the way God created me became more essential to me when I had all girls. I wanted my daughters to grow up being confident and aware of who they are no matter what society depicts as "beautiful", and I knew that started with me. Although I've done some modeling in the past, Curve the Runway Ohio has been a life changing experience. This is a movement to reach girls and women everywhere, of all ages, shapes and sizes to accept and love themselves. I read somewhere that "self-confidence is the best outfit, ROCK it and OWN it."



In addition to show rehearsals, we completed several photo and video shoots. Now, I’m not going to lie, I HATE getting my picture taken! Oh the irony!!! LOL. I didn’t attend the casting call so this was the first time meeting a lot of the ladies (with the exception of those I’ve worked with in the past.) With so many new faces, I honestly didn’t know what to expect but when the music came on and the camera started flashing, I knew these women were about business!! What was even more refreshing was the representation of women involved. The MOVEMENT included multiple sizes, races and ages; proving that there is no carbon-copy when it comes to beauty!






Photo: Deondre Dorelien





Designer JaeAmour
With the rehearsals and photo shoots behind us for now, it was time for the main event. Walking in the Villa Milano, you could already feel the energy and excitement.

Not a light was up but you knew that the magic was soon to begin! Back in the prep room, ladies were everywhere; snapping pics, practicing their walks and sharing in their nervousness. Designers were filing in and makeup artists and hair stylists were setting up shop. It was happening!!! Curve the Runway Ohio was past the point of concept and idea and now, a living, breathing space in time!!


Looking at Kristin Eagle, the excitement was written all her face. I knew this would be a night she wouldn’t forget!


“This movement has been so life changing for me, Kristin shared. Growing up, I was called ugly and bullied for being tall. It destroyed my self-esteem and I had zero confidence in myself. It carried into my adult years until one day after having my daughter, I decided it was time to love me, to be a role model for her, to embrace my body, my flaws and my beauty. This movement has brought so many beautiful ladies together, who have become family to one another, who support and encourage one another. I now have 80 plus new sisters. It's so uplifting and I am so honored and blessed to be a part of this movement.”



"Alright everybody!!! We got about 10 minutes!!" 

**LOOKS IN MIRROR** 

Beat faces? CHECK… Outfit snatched? CHECK… Doors open with an excited crowd?? Double CHECK…. Alright ladies, time to get in formation and SLAY!!

Model Tiana Lynn... WERK it!!!! 


***Reflection***
Out of all of the shows that I’ve done, this show was by far, the most personal for myself. Growing up, I was always the “big one” or the “tall one”. I shied away from wearing heels and you couldn’t pay me to wear anything that would hug my curves. It wasn’t until I was in my 20s that I realized that I WAS beautiful; that I was sexy; that I was ME! Hitting that runway meant so much more to me than showing off clothes. I felt like I was truly representing. For every woman whose inboxed me over the years, telling me how my confidence gave them confidence. For every girl, walking down their school hallways, being overlooked for the smaller girls. For every female, girl or woman, who is bullied on a daily basis, for being having just a little more. I WALKED FOR THEM; I walked for US!!!! Whether it was for the reinvention of Luscious Ladies for the House of Baboski, the intimate lingerie pieces of Stilettos Lingerie Boutique or the slick evening gowns of The Kingdom Fashion, when the lights were on and the beat dropped, it was time for me to solidify my place in the MOVEMENT and WERK....




Photo: Deondre Dorelien
Photo: Deondre Dorelien
Photo: Qua Brown
Stilettos Lingerie Boutique



























***If you are interested in joining the Curve the Runway MOVEMENT, go to www.curvetherunwayohio.com, for more information and follow them on IG at @curvetherunwayohio.

***Follow me at @Golden__Made.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Upcoming Events