Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Live from the 2012 Ohio Hip-Hop Awards Media Lounge!


They say after the show is the after party but before the Ohio Hip-Hop Awards, there’s the Media Lounge!!


The best of the best in music, fashion, promotions and photography were funky fresh, dressed to impress, ready to party at the Aladdin Shrine Temple for the 2012 Ohio Hip-Hop Awards (OHHA) on September 23rd, 2012. One of the biggest musical platforms in the Buckeye state, the OHHA is an event that unites all the cities, bringing artists together that may have never gotten together otherwise, to represent for Ohio and share in one love: the artistry that is music! 

With the DJ spinning and the drinks flowing, the evening was in full swing. Fresh off the red carpet, the next stop for the attendees was the Media Lounge! Strolling through the line of interviewers and cameramen, artist A.N.T.I. and William “Silver Bee” Richards were the first to speak with *So Golden*. “Silver Bee”, a radio jock for years and mentor to the Ohio Hip-Hop Committee, also worked as the political director of the committee which unified politicians and hip-hop in a positive way. When asked if he considered himself a legend, “Silver Bee” simply stated, “A legend? No. I’m one of the pioneers. They call me a legend but I just look at it as we’re all here!”

Though Columbus was the host city this year and last, there was no denying the presence felt by the 5-time host city, Cleveland! The gentlemen of Serious Hustle Records shared their feelings on the talents of those in the 216:

SoGolden: Cleveland has been holding it down today! Is the hip-hop realm in Cleveland real strong??
SHR: It is but at the same time you have to look for another outlet in order to, oh know-- because Cleveland is real saturated. So you definitely have to get out in the world with you music just to get heard if you want to get heard! 

One artist that was determined to get heard, with Christ in his corner, was Ambition, representing Harvard Ave in Cleveland, OH. Doing holy hip-hop for only one year, Ambition was excited to be nominated and more excited to bring Christ in the building!“Last year, they were going to take holy hip-hop out of the Ohio Hip-Hop Awards. They had only two submissions and this year, I went up against 9 people so I’m excited to see Christ in the building!”

60miles SE of Cleveland in Warren, OH resides OHHA newbie, Young Tragic aka Trizzle the Hottest who in his debut to the OHHA was nominated for Best Mixtape, Best New Artist, Single of the Year and Best Mixtape Artist.
SoGolden: So this is your 1st awards show and you’re a 4-time nominee!! You gotta feel pretty good?!
YT: Oh yeah, it’s a big accomplishment!! Last year I actually said, I told myself that I’m gonna try to get a nomination and I popped up with four!! That’s working hard!!

While the focus of the evening was on hip-hop, the ladies and female vocalists were undeniably in the building to represent. Best Female Vocalist nominee, Erica B. from Cincinnati looked absolutely fab in all black and was a pleasure to talk to. When asked if she considered herself an artist, Erica stated, “I am a female vocalist! I wouldn’t put myself just to R&B; I’m rock, I’m pop, I’m all of the above!!”


Another female vocalist who turned heads that night with an all-black, mesh top dress with black Xs on tatas and a fire red jacket was Miss Londyn Rae. Reigning from Cleveland, this R&B songstress, also nominated for Best Female Vocalist, defined her role in the game and discussed what’s next for her. “I am a songstress!! I like to consider myself an artist; a creator of audible art because I do it all! I can rap a little and I can sing! I do what makes me feel good! I’m just so excited!! My single just came out, “ILL” on August 8th! It’s been doing very well in the city so I’m gonna start traveling a making it work!” 


Testing, testing….

With the awards show set to begin, time in the lounge was coming to an end—but not before linking up with Cleveland’s own Graddy Co, aka the Hefty Lefty. Sweet with a gorgeous smile and a laid back vibe, Grady, who began rapping just last year, credited New York rappers Big L, Jay-Z, Rakim, Nas, Big Pun,  and Southern rappers Andre 3000 and Big Boi for influencing him.

Also in the building was a personal friend of *So Golden*, Hodgie Street, who not nominated, was at the awards show to show support to those who were. “Man, I just like the energy! You know, seeing everyone come together! You know, it’s definitely a great place to promote, get a couple beverages and have a good time!

(Featured on Live Mixtapes, Complex Magazine, Vibe.com, Allhiphop.com and Two Dope Boys, make sure you download Hodgie Street’s ‘The Go-In Part Deux’ NOW!!!) 

Just when we thought the lounge was closed, we had to get an exclusive interview with Best Club DJ winner, DJ Steph Floss!  DJing for 10yrs now, Steph Floss credits Funkmaster Flex, DJ Club, DJ Absolute, DJ Self and DJ Drama as being influences in his career. His biggest influence was one that we’d never expect. “The biggest influence of them all was an actor, he wasn’t even a DJ in real life—DJ GQ, my man Omar Epps from Juice. That’s actually the reason I started DJing. I love music and I saw that being a platform for me to get music out!” Determined to represent Cleveland and the state of Ohio to the fullest whenever on the road, Steph Floss ended the interview with the truest statement of the night:
What advice would you give the up-and-coming DJs who idolize you?

“Don’t idolize me b/c I’m not a God. The second thing, do it for the love of music not the love of money! With love, the money will come!”
(Shoutout to Moe Jiles of Fly Paper Magazine for the interview with DJ Steph Floss!)

Check out some of the artists that were in attendance and some of our fashion favorites at the 2012 Ohio Hip-Hop Awards!! For the complete list of winners, go to www.ohiohiphopawards.com!! ***Special "Thank You" to Brandi Hardgrow for assisting me on this wild day! Love ya!!***






 


                
               
























     

1 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!!!!!!! Cousin This was Freakn AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOW It looks gr8!!!!! <3 Love U Back!!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Upcoming Events